Representative Matters in Co-Lead or Co-Counsel Role:
- Settlement on behalf of a certified class of investors in collateralized debt obligations (Dodona I, LLC v. Goldman, Sachs & Co. et al., S.D.N.Y., Case No. 10-cv-07497) ($27.5 million).
- Settlement on behalf of a certified nationwide class involving claims of civil RICO and fraud against The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. and affiliates concerning the Hartford’s structured settlements practices (Spencer v. The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. et al., D. Conn., Case No. 05-cv-1681) ($72.5 million).
- Settlement on behalf of a certified class of policyholders in West Virginia against Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company arising out of Nationwide’s failure to offer policyholders the ability to purchase statutorily-required optional levels of underinsured (“UIM”) and uninsured (“UM”) motorist coverage under automobile insurance policies (Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company v. O’Dell, Case No. 00-C-37, West Virginia Circuit Court, Roane County) ($75 million).
- Settlement on behalf of a certified class of policyholders in multiple states against United American Ins. Co. and certain agents and business affiliates concerning the sale of limited benefit health insurance (Smith v. Collinsworth et al., Circuit Court of Saline County, Arkansas, Case No. CV2004-72-2) ($30 million).
- Settlement on behalf of a certified class of policyholders in multiple states against AFLAC, Inc. concerning the improper adjustment of supplemental disability income policies (Becker v. American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus and AFLAC, Inc., D.S.C., Case No. 05-2101) ($7 million).
- Currently litigating proposed class action on behalf of collision repair facilities against auto insurers in MDL proceedings involving civil RICO and state law claims.
- Currently litigating proposed class action on behalf of consumers against online retailers of contact lenses involving claims under the Sherman Act.
Representative Complex Litigation Matters:
- Prosecution of an action by a card issuing bank against an internet service provider and its merchant bank for improper credit card transactions, resulting in a seven-figure settlement.
- Prosecution of an action involving the sale of a health-care industry software program, resulting in a seven-figure settlement.
- Successful defense and settlement (for a nominal sum) of an action by a major credit card brand against a card issuing bank, avoiding enforcement of a long-term contract predicated on price fixing and anticompetitive conduct.
- Successful defense and settlement (for a nominal sum) of an action for preliminary and permanent injunctive relief against a food equipment manufacturer alleging misappropriation of proprietary information and trade secrets and unfair competition.
- Successful defense of an action for a TRO and preliminary injunction seeking to enjoin construction of a multi-million dollar parking garage facility based on claims of interference with easement, real property and contractual rights.
- Successful prosecution of multiple actions by the Pennsylvania Insurance Commissioner on behalf of insurers in insolvency and liquidation proceedings.
- Successful defense and dismissal on summary judgment of a seven-figure claim alleging shareholder compensation, profits and retirement benefits in connection with a corporate shareholder agreement.